It’s not a legal requirement to pay employees for travel delays or snow days but some employers may have something in place for these circumstances, like working from home, lieu time and paying holidays. As a company how do you decide the right option for you?
A few questions you need to ask yourself are:
- How many employees do you have that travel a long distance?
- Can employees work from home?
- Do you have any urgent deadlines?
- Can you afford to lose a day’s work?
- Can your organisation still run if others you work with aren’t open?
Each question poses advantages and disadvantages but you have to decide the best method for your organisation. Some employees that genuinely couldn’t get to work may be missing out where as others didn’t even try. If your company pays for snow days this may encourage employees not to come in as they know they will get paid or it may give your company a good reputation and be seen as a good company to work for.
To pay or not to pay, the choice is yours.