Co-ordinated by the National Apprenticeship Service, the week-long event aims to raise the profile of Apprenticeships and the opportunities it can offer young people in a generation of record breaking unemployment levels. Apprenticeships are rapidly becoming a very viable and beneficial solution for Employers, enabling them to potentially gain long term employees trained specifically for their sectors. Any Business that endorses apprenticeships should be celebrated, here are a few useful facts to consider if you are considering Apprentice recruitment:
• While it seems comparatively inexpensive to employ an Apprentice (NMW-£2.68 per hour), businesses should also consider the time and cost of supporting, mentoring and training any young worker.
• Apprentices are employed under an Apprenticeship contract. There is a legislative difference in simply employing a young employee and the £2.68 NMW would not stand.
• Employers are under no obligation to only pay the £2.68, many companies will pay more.
• The Government offer Grants to SME’s to assist in recruitment and training of Apprentices(AGE 16-24)
• Studies have found that costs of Apprenticeship Schemes are recuperated very quickly having developed a skilled specialist worker.
As an employer of Apprentices ourselves , Dataplan wholly endorses this year’s slogan “Great Businesses are made by apprentices and Apprenticeships lead to Great Prospects”.
For Further details on apprenticeships click here