student loan tax

As we head into winter, and the start of the academic year, it got me thinking about students who have worked through the summer months and are now incomeless in the run up to Christmas.

How can students fund their extra-curricular activities? Tax could be the answer.

If students have paid tax during the summer months and will not be working again until the end of the tax year, they can claim a refund of that tax.

Normally, HMRC process refunds after the end of the tax year, however they will repay tax deducted mid-year.

There are two ways this can be done.

1)    Via the student’s personal tax account

2)    By telephoning HMRC.

Given the difficulty sometimes in getting through to HMRC, I would recommend the tax account as the preferred method.

Claiming via a personal tax account

To claim tax back in this way does require opening an account, however this is a simple process. There is nothing to fear in opening such an account, indeed I would advocate that all taxpayers open an account.

The account enables you to check that income details held by HMRC are correct and also keep track of pension entitlement. If HMRC hold incorrect details for state pension, these can be amended through the tax account.

The link to the tax account and registration process is here.

But let’s get back to tax. Reclaiming of tax through the tax account is simply the click of a few buttons. The sooner a claim is made, the sooner the refund is made by HMRC.

Claiming by contacting HMRC directly

The other option available is calling HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

The time of day of the call will dictate how long you may have to wait before the call is answered!

The information needed for the call includes

•    Name

•    Address

•    National Insurance Number

•    P45 – this will confirm the amount of earnings and tax deducted

Of course, if the summer job is the only job in the tax year, personal allowances may mean that no tax has been deducted. Great! However if tax has been deducted, and a refund is available why wait until the end of the tax year to get the money back?

For further details contact Paul Chappell, Head of Legislation and Compliance at Dataplan Payroll Ltd on 03331 123456

Written by Paul Chappell
Published on September 12, 2019