The Data Protection Act places the following key responsibilities upon employers and payroll:
- Ensuring the ongoing accuracy of employees personal data, including name, age, contact details and information regarding pay and benefits.
- Protection of this data, irrespective of whether this is being stored electronically or manually, and the appropriate use of passwords and encryption tools.
- Ensuring all the employees with access to the information are aware of their responsibilities to protect the data in and out of the office.
- Checking that your IT security policies extend to include covering the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
- Ensuring that any data transmitted to third-parties (including those who provide benefits to employees) is necessary.
A specialist payroll provider like Dataplan are able to take the stress out of ensuring that as a company you are adhering to these requirements. For further information on how Dataplan look after your data please click here.